Sunday, May 15, 2011

Vampire Pumpkins

While I was in Europe, I learned that according to gypsy folklore nearly anything can become a vampire. Even inanimate objects are known to become vampiric under the proper conditions. The most common objects to turn into vampires are watermelons and pumpkins. The transformation takes place if the fruit is left out during a full moon after being exposed to some kind particularily negative energy. When the transformation has occured, the pumpkin will start to groan and roll around of it's own accord. Sometimes blood will also appear on the pumpkin's skin. As vampires, they attempt to do as much harm as they can, although there is very little they can do, since they are only gourds.

As a scientist, I naturally wanted to test this out. So, I bought a pumpkin, yelled at it, and then left it on the balcony during the first available full moon. I added candles and a wreath just for good measure.




Needless to say, I did not wake up to an ambulatory pumpkin. I later made the pumpkin into pie, and nothing particularily vampiric happened then, either. However, perhaps I will make another attempt on this coming full moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment